Groundhog Day!


Since Groundhog day was on a Monday this year, I started the fun activities on Friday. On Friday, we predicted whether or not the groundhog would see his shadow. It was clear that my students felt we would have 6 more weeks of winter.  I love doing this prediction. After we predicted, my students then recorded their work in their reading journals. 



Since it was a Friday, our art project was to made the groundhog. All of them came out super cute! I had the students trace a heart on brown paper. Then they made all of the parts to the face using their glue sticks to trace circles and cutting square by themselves. This worked out perfectly since we are learning about shapes.


On Monday, we watched the Punxsutawney Phill see his shadow. It was so neat to see my little bees' reactions.They thought the groundhog was super cute. After we watched the short video clip, we rewrote our predictions on a final draft.



Of course we had to have a cute snack on Groundhog's Day. Since my students predicted that it would be 6 more weeks of winter, I got vanilla pudding to look like the snow. Each student made the groundhog's face on the vanilla wafer. And we made groundhog silly hats... of course!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment