First Day of School

First day of school is August 19th, 2013.

I know my students are nervous, but I am nervous as well. When I try to remember what I did on the first day of school last year, it is ALL a blur. Ugh!

So...
I am planning to do the following, but know that I probably will not get to everything. I think I over planned.

Monday

8:10 - As students come in, students will work with table centers (linking blocks). I will ask them to sort by color.

8:20 - Once I close my doors, I will invite students to the morning meeting rug. I will introduce myself and have each student tell me their name and a little bit about themself. I will write their name on a card and put their names on the word wall. Then we will sing a name song.

8:35 - Pledge and Morning Announcements

8:40 - We will discuss the "Bee" rules. Then, the class will take a tour of the room and then the school. I will show them the cafe, play ground, office, clinic, library, etc.

8:50 - I will read aloud Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten. We will compare (discussion) what Bindergarten and the students did to get ready for kindergarten. I will write their responses on a chart.

9:15 - I will introduce the Daily 5 by modeling with the book If you take a Mouse to School. We will go over the Daily 5 center rules. We will practice Reading to Self and Working with Words, while I walk about assisting the students.

10:00 - Students will clean up and go back to their seats. They will have card on their desk to make their desk name tag. Students will write and decorate their name tag.

10:10 - Start preparing for lunch (bathroom break). Meet at the carpet to explain lunch procedures. Pass out lunch number tags and line up.

10:20-10:50 - Lunch

10:50-11:00 - Take students outside for recess.

11:10 - Bathroom/water break

11:20 - Discuss ways students come to school and go home. Have students color and cut out the way they come to school. Make a picture graph and discuss the results.

12:00 - Meet back at the carpet area. I will read the Kissing Hand and discuss feelings of the first day of school. We will discuss: Today was my first day of school in kindergarten. I felt _____________.

12:45 - They will go back to their desk to work on a booklet all about their first day at school.

1:10 - Students will have time to explore the centers.

1:40 - Clean up and stack chairs. Meet at the carpet to discuss their first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment