Daily 5: A work in progress

July 13, 2013

I have to say thanks for all of the bloggers who post information on the Daily 5 and teaching in general.

I have been in the public school system for 12 years. Last year, was my first "full" year teaching kindergarten. A few years ago I fell in love with kindergarten when I worked with Ms. P. During that year, my school had about 25 teacher surplused in Oct and my 5th grade class was split. I cried like a baby about teaching kindergarten. But, Ms. P showed me that kindergarten is a wonderful and most rewarding grade to teach (of course using her "Old School Ways"). It turned out to be the best year ever. After that year, I was put back in 5th. I have been asking to go back to kindergarten ever since. In 2012, I had my second son. When I returned to work, I begged to place me in kindergarten. My principal finally gave me my wish. :)

I know that the 2013-2014 school year is going to be a great one. I am soaking up all of the information I find from the blogs.

Preparing for August 19th

The first thing I did was create a monthly outline of themes, books, and skills. Then, I started planning for week 1. One of the changes I am going to make is to start the daily 5 during the first week. Last year, I created most of my centers and did not start the Daily 5 until the middle of the year. I only have 3 computers and a listening station for technology. In the Daily 5 videos I have watched, most teachers have iPads, leapfrog systems (pad and tag), and lots of computers. So, today I searched eBay for leapfrog learning systems and a $160 later, I have the following:

  • 2 leapfrog read and write
  • 3 leapfrog learning system
  • 1 leapfrog quantum
  • 23 leapfrog books with cartridges
  • 6 books without cartridges
  • 1 tag pen
  • 21 leapfrog tag books
I think this will be a good addition to my Daily 5 routine. I still need a few more tag pens. I am still on the hunt.

Off to bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment